Monday, September 17, 2012

Some themes I want to explore



For the past few days I have been pondering what different subjects that I would like to focus on more. The problem for me in doing a task like this is that I am interested in more subjects then I have time to dig into. I have always been one to struggle to identify priorities among my favorite things - often sweating while trying to write down my favorite ice cream flavor for my spot light profile in primary, or trying to have my favorite movie on the tip of my tongue when introducing myself in that horrible first day of middle school.

So, below are a few things I know I am interested in - and maybe as I write about them and keep thinking on them certain subjects will arise as the one(s) I should attack this semester.

Identity
I have already written a bit about this topic in my blog post about The Odyssey. Elder Cook's CES talk a few months ago touches a little on this, and I really like Curtis' ideas in relation to profile pictures and how we choose to present ourselves to the world.

Crowd sourcing
I have already had some small discussion about teachers crowd sourcing in conjunction to a different blog/google site I have been working on. The idea of the power of crowds has been on my mind since listening to this about 3 or 4 months ago. I feel like it is a concept that can have a significant impact on the world and our individual lives.

Complexities of evaluation in web 2.0
There have been some discussions about badges and how to evaluate learning. I don't know much about this topic - but I am very curious about it.

The problem of progress
See earlier blog on this.

Time and new media
Does anyone else feel a crushing sensation when you get online and see all the info? For me when I get on Google+ and see how behind I get, or how much stuff is going on and I just don't know where to start or how to participate meaningfully. This skill and ability which some have mastered (how does professor Burton DO all the stuff he does without Hermoine's time-turner?) baffles me, and I would love to read/learn/do something on this topic.

Other things on my radar:
Media literacy education
Film and the evolution of storytelling in the information age
The Internet's influence on individual autonomy

No comments:

Post a Comment